Sunday, April 15, 2012

All of the poetry we've read so far is more versatile then any I've read before. Most of it is Western or Poe... Not that any of it is bad but I'm not sure which is better. I like the mystery of the cultural differences but it also causes a barrier between the meanings intended. The short stories on the other hand are not favorable to me because without a proper cultural background it is easy to confuse the meanings of the stories.  One of my favorite poems is by Edgar Allen Poe. It talks about something that everyone, in every culture, does. Nothing separates in this poem for anybody; due to religion, race or status...

A Dream Within A Dream

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment